Massage Therapy Certificate
Certificates are not academic degree but are provided to document knowledge in certain professional fields for those students aspiring to employment in that field or for current professionals seeking to acquire new knowledge for professional advancement. Classes used to satisfy the requirements for a certificate carry academic credit and may also be used to satisfy major and minor degree requirements.
Massage Therapy Certificate (Traditional)
The Massage Therapy Certificate is designed to prepare students for a career as a licensed massage therapists. Students are required to complete 20 credits (660 clock hours) to be eligible to receive certificate from the school. Successful completion of coursework enables students to apply for the National Certification Exam or the MBLex to receive licensure from the State of Illinois.
660 Clock Hours (20 “credits”)
- MAS 115: Fundamentals of Therapeutic Massage
- MAS 125: Massage Technique Variations
- MAS 135: Advanced Technique Applications
- MAS 145: Student Clinic
- BIO 113: Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIO114: Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology II (Prereq. BIO 113)
Massage Therapy Schedule
- Students attend a part-time schedule.
- Each student is required to complete 20 credits and have 660 clock hours.
- Massage Therapy students register each semester in accordance with the Lincoln College-Normal academic calendar.
- Enrollment date: August and January
- Required courses: MAS 115, 125, 135, 145; BIO 113 and BIO 114 (Prereq. BIO 113)
Any person is eligible to receive a license as a massage therapist who submits proof that he/she is 18 years of age, successfully completed a minimum of 500 hours from an established massage therapy school, has applied in writing on the prescribed forms and has paid the required fees, and had his/her fingerprints submitted to the Department of Police in an electronic format.
Licensed Massage therapists in the State of Illinois must obtain at least 24 hours of approved continuing education per license renewal period every 2 years.
The Massage Therapy program consists of the following courses of study:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Fundamentals of Massage
- Professional Ethics
- Wellness Education and Nutrition
- Business Concepts
- Body Mechanics/Preparation for Massage
- Massage Technique Applications
- Massage Technique Variations
- Seated Massage
- Joint Mobility and Stretching/Sports Massage
- Cranial-Sacral Therapy (CST)
- Deep Tissue Therapy
- CPR (Certification for infant/child/adult)
- Review for licensing exam
Total classroom/clinical hours – 660
Massage Therapy Make Up Hours Available
Make up hours will be determined by the instructor on the first day of class.
Massage Therapy students must have completed fundamentals and massage technique application (140 total hours) before performing massage on clients.
Licensure Requirements and Application Process (for the State of Illinois)
- Eligible candidate must have completed a minimum of 500 hours of instruction from a school that has a current NCB Assigned School Code (Lincoln College Massage Therapy Code is 490487) and prove that student has graduated from a formal training program through official school transcripts and a photocopy of diploma/certification of completion.
- Submit completed application form
- Sign Background Check, Statement of Understanding, and Candidate Compliance section
- Include a photocopy of a current U.S. government issued photo ID
- Enclose $185.00 payment (in form of a check, cashiers check, money order, or credit card)
- Sealed copy of official transcripts will be sent directly from school to the NCBTMB
- Applicants can visit www.ncbtmb.org
State of Illinois Licensure
- Eligible candidate must 18 years of age and of good moral character
- Applicant has successfully completed an approved massage therapy program (minimum of 500 hours)
and passed the National Certification Exam. Instruct the NCBTMB to forward an official report of
applicant exam record directly to the Division
- Submit a completed application form
- Provide evidence of fingerprint processing from the Illinois State Police (ISP), or designated fingerprint
vendor approved by the ISP or Department
- Enclose $175.00 application fee (non-refundable) in the form of a check or money order made payable to the IDFPR
- Sealed copy of official transcripts will be sent directly from school to the IDFPR
- Applicants can visit www.idfpr.com